Medicare Part D in Oklahoma
Find affordable Medicare plans in Oklahoma
What is Medicare Part D in Oklahoma?
Medicare Part D in Oklahoma is prescription drug coverage. You can sign up for Medicare Part D in Oklahoma from a private insurance company that contracts with Medicare.
If you have Medicare Part A and/or Part B, you may enroll in a stand-alone Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Plan in Oklahoma. Or, if you prefer a Medicare Advantage plan and you have both Part A and Part B, you can get your Part D benefits that way. Not every Medicare Advantage plan includes prescription drug coverage, so check first before signing up for a Medicare Advantage plan.
Medicare Advantage Prescription Drug plans and stand-alone Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Plans in Oklahoma have a few things in common, such as:
- A formulary, which is a list of covered prescription drugs. Every plan has one, and they can vary among plans. The formulary may change at any time. The plan will notify you of any changes when necessary.
- Copayments and coinsurance amounts you pay for covered medications. Some plans also have an annual deductible.
- A monthly premium you may have to pay for Medicare Part D coverage
Why might I need Medicare Part D in Oklahoma?
Whether or not you take prescription drugs now, you may want to consider Medicare Part D prescription drug coverage in Oklahoma. Original Medicare (Part A and Part B) doesn’t cover most medications, except when administered during a hospital stay or at a clinic.
So, the more medications you take, and the more expensive they are, the more you might want to sign up for Medicare Part D coverage in Oklahoma.
Also, think about what your health might be like in the future. It may not be fun to think about, but if you expect to have health problems, you might want to get covered under Medicare Part D in Oklahoma.
Why worry about the future now? Why not wait to get Medicare Part D in Oklahoma until you’re taking more medications? There’s a Part D late enrollment penalty that you might have to pay on top of your plan premium if you delay enrollment.
If you aren’t enrolled under Medicare Part D in Oklahoma, you’ll generally have to pay for your medications out of your own pocket. Of course, if you have other prescription drug coverage in Oklahoma – through an employer, for example – your prescriptions may be covered.
When can I sign up for Medicare Part D in Oklahoma?
You are eligible for Medicare Part D if you have Medicare Part A (hospital insurance) and/or Medicare Part B (medical insurance). You have to live within the plan’s service area.
For many people, the best time to enroll in a Medicare Part D prescription drug plan in Oklahoma is during your Medicare Initial Enrollment Period (IEP). For most people, the IEP begins three months before you qualify for Medicare, includes your birth month, and ends three months after your birth month.
If you already have Medicare prescription drug coverage, you can switch to a new plan during the Annual Election Period, which runs from October 15 to December 7.
Medicare also offers Special Election Periods to accommodate certain events that may occur, such as loss of other prescription drug coverage or relocation to a place outside the plan’s Oklahoma service area. Read more about Special Election Periods.
What else should I know about Medicare Part D in Oklahoma?
You may be interested in knowing that, of the nearly 478,000 Medicare beneficiaries living in Oklahoma, about 75% get their Medicare Part D prescription drug coverage from a stand-alone Medicare Prescription Drug Plan. The other 25% enrolled in a Medicare Advantage Prescription Drug plan. That’s according to a 2018 report from the Centers of Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS).
As you consider your Medicare Part D prescription drug coverage needs, you’ll want to compare Medicare plans in Oklahoma offering prescription drug benefits—the medications they cover and the cost of coverage, that is, the monthly premium. Keep in mind that each Medicare plan offering Part D prescription drug benefits sets its own premium and benefits.
You’re likely to have options in your choice of Medicare plans offering prescription drug coverage in Oklahoma. As CMS notes, 23 stand-alone Medicare Part D plans are available in Oklahoma in 2018. In addition, 35 Medicare Advantage plans offer coverage in Oklahoma. You can find out which plans are available where you live by typing in your zip code and clicking on the Browse Plan button on this page.
This information is not a complete description of benefits. Contact the plan for more information. Limitations, copayments, and restrictions may apply. Benefits, premiums and/or co-payments/co-insurance may change on January 1 of each year.
A plan’s formulary may change at any time. You will receive notice from your plan when necessary.