Medicare in Texas
Find affordable Medicare plans in Texas
By the numbers
As of 2015, more than three and a half million Medicare beneficiaries resided in Texas. To learn more about Medicare in Texas, here are some statistics:
- Beneficiaries enrolled in Medicare Part A and/or Part B in Texas: 2, 436, 297
- Total number of Texas beneficiaries: 3, 595, 907
- Beneficiaries enrolled in a Medicare Advantage plan in Texas: 1, 159, 610
- Beneficiaries enrolled in Medicare Part D: 2, 471, 636
- Texas beneficiaries enrolled in a Medicare Advantage Prescription Drug plan: 919, 046
- Texas beneficiaries enrolled in a stand-alone Medicare Prescription Drug Plan: 1, 552, 590
Medicare Advantage plans and Prescription Drug Plan sponsors must have a contract with Medicare in order to sell Medicare insurance plans (such as a Medicare HMO or a Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Plan). Depending on the terms of the contract between the plan and Medicare, not every plan is available statewide or in all service areas. Each year, the plan must renew their contract with Medicare, so the availability of a plan in a specific service area is subject to change as a result of the annual contract renewal.
Medicare resources in Texas
Texas Medicare Savings Programs: Beneficiaries in Texas are sometimes overwhelmed by health care costs. Programs offer special savings to beneficiaries whose income is under a certain limit.
Texas State Health Insurance Counseling and Assistance Program (SHIP): Health Information Counseling & Advocacy Program of Texas (HICAP) is the Texas branch of SHIP. HICAP has 28 Area Agency on Aging offices where you can speak with benefits counselors who provide unbiased information and assistance and can act as advocates when necessary.
Source: Statistical data from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, “On its 50th anniversary, more than 55 million Americans covered by Medicare” as of July 28, 2015.