Medicare in New Jersey
Find affordable Medicare plans in New Jersey
By the numbers
Did you know that there are nearly 1, 600,000 Medicare beneficiaries living in New Jersey according to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS)? The following is the number of Medicare beneficiaries in New Jersey, by type of coverage:
- Beneficiaries enrolled in Medicare Part A and/or Part B in New Jersey: 1,215,967
- Beneficiaries enrolled in the Medicare program: 1, 594,153
- Beneficiaries enrolled in Medicare Part C (Medicare Advantage) and other health plans: 378,186
- Beneficiaries enrolled in Medicare Part D: 1,183,352
- New Jersey beneficiaries enrolled in a Medicare Advantage plan that includes prescription drug coverage: 269,814
Medicare Advantage plans and stand-alone Medicare Prescription Drug Plans are available through private insurance companies that have contracted with Medicare to offer Medicare insurance plans (such as a Medicare HMO or a Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Plan). Depending on the terms of the contract between the Medicare plan and Medicare, not every plan is available statewide or in all service areas. Each year, the plan must renew their contract with Medicare, so the availability of a plan in a specific service area is subject to change as a result of the annual contract renewal.
Medicare resources in New Jersey
New Jersey Medicare Savings Programs: If you are enrolled in Medicare Part A and have limited resources and assets, then you may be eligible for a New Jersey Medicare Savings Programs that can help cover some of your out-of-pocket expenses for health care.
New Jersey State Health Insurance Counseling and Assistance Program (SHIP): The State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) provides free help to New Jersey residents who have concerns or questions about Medicare. There are volunteer counselors available to help beneficiaries make informed decisions about their health care.