Medicare in Massachusetts
Find affordable Medicare plans in Massachusetts
By the numbers
Interested in learning more about Medicare coverage in Massachusetts? Below are some statistics on Medicare enrollment and coverage in Massachusetts:
- Total number of beneficiaries enrolled in Medicare Part A and/or Part B in Massachusetts: 1,210,272
- Total number of Massachusetts beneficiaries enrolled in Medicare Part C: 261,433
- Total number of beneficiaries enrolled in Medicare prescription drug coverage (Medicare Part D): 817,417
- Medicare beneficiaries with a Medicare Advantage plan that includes prescription drug coverage: 238,763
- Massachusetts beneficiaries with a stand-alone Medicare Prescription Drug Plan: 578,654
Medicare Advantage plans and Prescription Drug Plan sponsors must have a contract with Medicare in order to sell Medicare insurance plans (such as a Medicare HMO or a Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Plan). Depending on the terms of the contract between the plan and Medicare, not every plan is available statewide or in all service areas. Each year, the plan must renew their contract with Medicare, so the availability of a plan in a specific service area is subject to change as a result of the annual contract renewal.
Medicare resources in Massachusetts
Massachusetts Medicare Savings Programs: Beneficiaries with income that falls below the limit that is set by the federal government each year may be able to get financial assistance to cover things like their Medicare premiums and deductibles..
Massachusetts State Health Insurance Counseling and Assistance Program (SHIP): The SHINE Program (Serving Health Information Needs of Elders) is a Massachusetts health insurance assistance program that provides free health insurance information to residents with Medicare and their caregivers. The program is partially funded by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services.
Source: Statistical data from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, “On its 50th anniversary, more than 55 million Americans covered by Medicare” as of July 28, 2015.