Medicare in Kentucky
Find affordable Medicare plans in Kentucky
By the numbers
Medicare beneficiaries in Kentucky have a lot of options when it comes to how to get their Medicare benefits. Following is more information on Medicare enrollment in Kentucky:
- Total number of Kentucky residents enrolled in Medicare Part A and/or Part B: 857,316
- Total number of Kentucky beneficiaries enrolled in a Medicare Advantage plan: 226,064
- Total number of Kentucky beneficiaries enrolled in Medicare Part D: 630,711
- Kentucky beneficiaries enrolled in a Medicare Advantage Prescription Drug plan: 173,808
- Kentucky beneficiaries enrolled in a stand-alone Medicare Prescription Drug Plan: 456,903
Medicare Advantage plans and Prescription Drug Plan sponsors must have a contract with Medicare in order to sell Medicare insurance plans (such as a Medicare HMO or a Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Plan. Depending on the terms of the contract between the plan and Medicare, not every plan is available statewide or in all service areas. Each year, the plan must renew their contract with Medicare, so the availability of a plan in a specific service area is subject to change as a result of the annual contract renewal.
Medicare resources in Kentucky
Kentucky Medicare Savings Programs: For beneficiaries with limited income, Kentucky Medicare Savings Programs may offer financial relief by paying for all or some of your health care expenses. Savings programs can help with Part A and Part B premiums, deductibles, and other health costs.
Kentucky State Health Insurance Counseling and Assistance Program (SHIP): The Kentucky State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) provides free, unbiased information and assistance to seniors and disabled beneficiaries. This program educates people about Medicare so beneficiaries can make informed decisions about their care.
Source: Statistical data from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, “On its 50th anniversary, more than 55 million Americans covered by Medicare” as of July 28, 2015.