Are you a Texas resident? If so,
read about Medicare in Texas here.

Changing the Address on a Medicare Card and Correcting Medicare Billing

Find affordable Medicare plans

Get Started

How to change the address on your Medicare card

If you have recently moved and did not update your address, you should report this change to Social Security and request a new Medicare card. You can report the address change:

  • By visiting the Social Security website here.
  • By calling Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY users 1-800-0778), Monday through Friday, from 7AM to 7PM.
  • By visiting a local Social Security office.

You should receive a new Medicare card with the updated address about 30 days after Social Security processes the request. For security reasons, be sure to properly dispose of your old Medicare card once the new one arrives.

Medicare uses the address you have on file to send you important information, including billing and coverage information. No matter what kind of Medicare plan you have, always make sure that Medicare has your current address on file so that you don’t lose any important mail.

If you receive your Medicare coverage through a private Medicare plan, such as a Medicare Advantage plan, you should also contact the insurance company directly to report the change of address and request a new card. You can find the contact information for your insurance provider on the back of your Medicare plan membership card.

Incorrect Medicare billing

If you received a bill from your doctor or other health-care provider, and you believe you were incorrectly charged, you should first call the provider to ask about it. If you didn’t use or don’t recognize the provider listed on the claim, or if you believe that Medicare was fraudulently charged for a service, supply, or medication you didn’t receive, you can contact Medicare to report the fraud. Call 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227). Representatives are available by phone 24 hours a day, seven days a week. TTY users should call 1-877-486-2048.

Make sure that the information in your Initial Enrollment Questionnaire is up to date. This is the form you filled out when you first enrolled to let Medicare know of any other insurance you might have, such as veterans’ benefits or employer coverage. Medicare relies on information from your IEQ to pay your claims correctly. If you have added, dropped, or modified your other insurance, contact the Benefits Coordination & Recovery Center (BCRC) to let them know. You can reach the BCRC at 1-855-798-2627 (TTY users 1-855-797-2627).

If you have Original Medicare (Part A and Part B), you should receive a Medicare Summary Notice (MSN) in the mail every three months. This isn’t a bill, but it will show you all of the Medicare-covered services you received that were billed to Medicare, what you may owe, and what Medicare paid the provider. You can also view your claims on about 24 hours after they have been processed.

It’s always a good idea to keep a record of invoices and the dates you received services every time you see a doctor or provider. Check your records against the bills that your provider sends you and your MSN to make sure you’re being billed correctly.

If Medicare partially or fully denies payment for a service or item that you think should be covered, contact your health-care provider in case the claim was filed incorrectly. The provider may have made an error and may need to resubmit the claim. You also have a right to appeal the decision. There are five levels in the appeals process, and if you still disagree after the initial decision, you can file another appeal.

If you have a Medicare Advantage plan and believe you were incorrectly billed, you have a right to appeal if you think that your plan should have paid or covered the service. This appeal is called an organization determination.

Need help?

Call to speak with a licensed
insurance agent now.

Touch to Call

1-800-299-3166 TTY users 711

Or, enter your zip code to shop online

Enter your zip code to shop online

Browse Plans
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback!