Are you a Texas resident? If so,
read about Medicare in Texas here.

How Do I Get a New Medicare Card If My Card Is Damaged, Lost, or Stolen?

Find affordable Medicare plans

Get Started

If your Medicare card is lost, stolen or damaged, you can request a replacement Medicare card through the Social Security Administration in the following ways:

  • Online at
  • By phone at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY users, dial 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday, from 7AM to 7PM.
  • In person at your local Social Security office.

Your new red, white, and blue card will be mailed to the address that Social Security has on file for you within 30 days.

If you have moved and have not reported this information to Social Security, you will need to report your address change before they can process your request for a replacement card.

If you need proof that you have Medicare sooner than 30 days, you also can request a letter to use as temporary proof. This letter should be mailed to you in about 10 days. If you need proof immediately for your doctor or for a prescription, visit your nearest Social Security office.

If you signed up for Medicare through the Railroad Retirement Board (RRB), you’ll need to request a replacement Medicare card through the RRB:

  • Visit
  • Call 1-877-772-5772 (TTY users, dial 1-312-751-4701, Monday through Friday, from 9AM to 3:30PM.
  • Contact your local Railroad Retirement Board office.

Need help?

Call to speak with a licensed
insurance agent now.

Touch to Call

1-800-299-3166 TTY users 711

Or, enter your zip code to shop online

Enter your zip code to shop online

Browse Plans
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback!