Is there a “Best Health Insurance in the US?”
Anyone can claim to have the best health insurance in the United States. But it depends on your stage of life and what you’re looking for. A Gallup poll showed that Americans are pretty happy with Medicare. That might be partly because the government pays for a lot of your coverage.
Have you been getting the best health insurance?
Does this scenario seem familiar? For nearly 40 years you’ve had health insurance. For most of this time, you had your employer health insurance. Sometimes it seemed like the best health insurance. Other times, it was only so-so coverage and pretty poor service. Your brother had self-employed health insurance for his family. He often said it was the best health insurance, but the cost for that coverage stung.
Now, perhaps you’re ready to retire and soon will be eligible for Medicare. You may be wondering what’s in store for you with Medicare coverage. Is Medicare the best health insurance for you? What are your options?
The good news is that most Americans are fairly well-satisfied with their insurance coverage, especially government-sponsored insurance such as the Medicare program and military programs.
What the Gallup polls suggest about the best health insurance
During the last decade, the American health care system has been one of the leading topics of national discussion. What is the best way to deliver health insurance? Gallup, a global analytics and advice company, surveys consumers about different topics. According to one Gallup poll, Americans with health insurance are generally satisfied with their personal health care and health coverage.
Gallup might not have pinpointed what people consider the “best health insurance.” But the company has surveyed Americans on their satisfaction with the health insurance system since 2014. If the best health insurance is the type that most Americans like, then it looks like government-based coverage is doing pretty well. Here are Gallup’s 2015 survey results:
|Primary insurance type||% satisfied with the way the health insurance system is working|
|Military or veterans||78|
|Current or former employer||69|
|Plan fully paid for by you or family member||65|
The best health insurance: what shapes our views?
When people think about the best health insurance, Gallup findings suggest cost may be a factor in consumer satisfaction. Government-sponsored insurance programs, such as Medicare, are consistently ranked high. They appear to be viewed as among the best health insurance. But insurance you have to pay for yourself ranked lower in the poll.
Certainly it’s a matter of personal preference to say what the “best” health insurance is. Here are some health insurance features people might find important:
- Some may feel the best health insurance plans clearly explain how the plan works, and what’s covered and what’s not. Medicare and other government-sponsored health insurance offer many resources to help people enrolled in these programs. Resources include easy-to-read benefit information, usually available in many languages and Braille. Information is usually available in print or online. Customer service representatives, counselors, and advocates are generally available.
- Perhaps you feel that the best health insurance helps pay for preventive services, doctor visits, and hospital care. Original Medicare (Part A and Part B) generally meets these criteria.
- For many, the best health insurance plans are those that provide easy access to health care. Generally government-sponsored programs such as Medicare have broad participation among hospitals, doctors, medical suppliers, and other health professionals.
Looking ahead at Medicare coverage
As you prepare to enroll in Medicare, take a close look at your coverage options. With a little preparation, you may be able to get the best health insurance for your needs.
There are a couple of different ways you can get your Medicare coverage – and other options you may be able to add.
- Many people are automatically enrolled in Medicare Part A and Part B. You can add one or both of these:
- Medicare Part D prescription drug coverage through a private, Medicare-approved health insurance company.
- Medicare Supplement insurance, sold by private insurance companies. This type of insurance can help pay Medicare Part A and Part B out-of-pocket costs.
- You can decide to get Medicare through a Medicare Advantage plan. Medicare Advantage plans deliver your Part A and Part B coverage through a private, Medicare-approved health insurance company. Most Medicare Advantage plans include prescription drug coverage, and some have other benefits too, like membership in fitness programs.
Which is the best health insurance option when it comes to your Medicare coverage options? You can check out plans in your area right now – just type your zip code into the box on this page.
The product and service descriptions, if any, provided on these eHealth web pages are not intended to constitute offers to sell or solicitations in connection with any product or service. All products are not available in all areas and are subject to applicable laws, rules, and regulations.