Medicare Advantage Plans in Nevada
Learn about Medicare Advantage plans in Nevada
Medicare beneficiaries in Nevada may choose to enroll in Medicare Advantage as an alternative to Original Medicare coverage. Medicare Advantage plans are offered through private insurance companies to Medicare beneficiaries, and these plans cover all health and hospital benefits as provided by Medicare Part A and Part B. In addition, Medicare Advantage plans may offer other benefits not covered by Original Medicare , such as dental, routine vision, and/or hearing coverage.
Medicare Advantage Statistics in Nevada
- Total number of private insurance companies with Medicare Advantage contracts (2013): 15
- Total number of Medicare Advantage plans available in Nevada (2013): 44
- Number of Medicare Advantage plans through local Health Maintenance Organizations (HMOs) (2013): 7
- Number of Medicare Advantage plans through local Preferred Provider Organizations (PPOs) (2013): 5
- Number of Special Needs Plans (SNPs) (2013): 3
- Total enrollment in Medicare Advantage plans (2012): 120,379
- Medicare Advantage enrollees as a percentage of total Medicare population (2012): 32%
- Total enrollment in SNPs (2012): 4,109
Medicare Advantage Prescription Drug plans in Nevada
You will find that many Medicare Advantage plans also provide prescription medication coverage. These types of plans are also called Medicare Advantage Prescription Drug plans (MAPDs). MAPDs combine health coverage with prescription drug coverage in a single plan offered by private insurance companies.
Here are a few numbers on MAPDs in Nevada:
- Total number of Medicare beneficiaries enrolled in MAPDs (2012): 111,843
- Percent of Medicare beneficiaries enrolled in MAPDs (2012): 29%
How to compare Medicare Advantage plans in Nevada
It is vital that you compare all available plans and options before you choose a Medicare Advantage plan in Nevada. The availability and costs of Medicare Advantage may differ depending on your county of residence. You may find that a Medicare Advantage plan with identical benefits and coverage may be priced different from one county to another in Nevada. But please note that some Medicare Advantage plans may have monthly premiums as little as $0 (although you will still continue to pay your Part B premium).
It is also important to determine whether you wish to enroll in a Medicare Advantage plan that includes prescription drug coverage. Since Medicare Advantage plans offer additional coverage beyond what is included in Original Medicare, consider all your health and medication needs when making a selection.
Data provided by the Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation